Saturday, July 15, 2017

Quilt Shot Block #90~ Wonky Log Cabin Revisited with Tiny Scraps

Scrappy Wonky Log Cabin

On February 8, 2014, I posted the Wonky Log Cabin.
I love making this block because you get to go through your scraps
and let come what may.
I decided to use my scraps to make 6½ inch blocks to make a 12½ in block.








When it came time to cut out the block using my 6½ inch square ruler,
I had to take notice where the quarter inch seam line would fall.
I didn't want it to stitch through a seam or even a part of a seam as I've marked here.
This would work better.
Now there is clearance on all 4 sides to stitch a seam.

This one was just quiet not big enough. 
So added more fabric while keeping in mind
 where I would need to cut so seams wouldn't fall in the quarter inch seam.
A strip much wider than a quarter inch seam was added on the next 2 sides
leaving room to trim on the other 2 sides.
 Played around with placement a bit
to see how the pieces would form a possible pattern.
Sewed the four together 
and trimmed with 12½ inch ruler.



I first made some 12½ inch blocks.
Then when I got down to smaller scraps made the block above.
 By the time I got tired,
I couldn't believe I had spent about 4 hours in my sewing room.
I was really shocked when I laid out my blocks and found I'd almost made 
what I call a "Couch Throw" quilt top!
And what was really unbelievable was that I still had SCRAPS LEFT!

************************************

********************************
Thanks to the FREE program
 Photoscape for downsizing & watermarking photo & other alterations to pictures.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.