Thursday, December 10, 2015

Mug Organizer- Standard Mug Directions

    The Mug Organizer has been very popular.  There was a question about the measurements in the example I gave.  Turns out the example needed to be corrected, while yet the dimensions in the picture were correct. That information on that post has now been updated.
     Recently, I made another mug organizer and realized, as did a reader, that apparently there is a standard size for mugs.  So I thought I'd give the standard measurements here so there is no calculating involving or trying to understand my calculations.
      This post also includes yardage instructions.
*************************
This project is great for scraps as you see I have done.  Only 5 pieces needed.

 Your quick reference guide.

In original directions it said to fold the pieces in half 3 times which would divide the pieces into 4 sections.
Not true.  It will be 8 sections.   However, you can change pocket sizes if needed, but be aware the pockets shouldn't be so wide they will gap open.
Since I didn't have a selvage edge for the ties like I did with the original Mug Organizer, I did a double fold.  The edge stitching foot was really helpful.
After you have cut the ties piece into 4 equal sections, this would be the placement for the standard mug.
                  *1 inch from bottom and
                  *Just above the outside pocket
 **************

Now let's get even a bit more simple with the cutting.
My friend found out the "outside pocket" unit can be used for the inside.
If you have yardage, this could be a quick simple cut.
You need 29 inches of yardage.  Sorry it can't be 3/4 of a yard.



Save the extra 1 inch piece for a tie for another mug organizer.
Also, save the 11" piece of folded fabric for another mug organizer.  It should be 8½" long.
The inside pockets work out just fine.
Still room in the very center for your pencil trimmer.
The following were shots sent to me by my new friend that
gave the tip to use the same pocket unit for the inside.
She also had the great idea to make the organizer a bit reversible
by using a different fabric for the other pocket unit.
Love the blue and yellow together.


Reversible!

 Thank-you Sandy!
*************************************
Can you name someone who could not use one of these in some way?
Desk, sewing, school, carpenter bench, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom...........
Remember if you have a different size mug, or another container use the generic measurements on the
Go find those mugs you don't use anymore, or even consider using a tin can.  
Have fun using those scraps.
***********************
**********************************************
Sharing at several Linky Parties.
Adding these Linky Parties this week: 

Trash to Treasures 


Thanks to the FREE program

 Photoscape for downsizing & watermarking photo & other alterations to pictures.

21 comments:

  1. totally cool, love this idea! fun way to organize your desk and show your personality at the same time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a clever idea and what you end up with is so much more than the mugs and material you began with #CreativeMondays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for linking up with me on #Trash2Treasure. Do you have Pinterest and Twitter for me to share your great ideas and invite you to my board too?

      Delete
  3. These are sew cute and your tutorial is perfect. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have one of these that a friend gave me except it is on a soup mug so a bit larger. But they are awesome, love mine. Thanks for sharing your tute with us. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh- this is GREAT! I would love to have one of these on my desk! Thanks for popping by Snickerdoodle Sunday- hope to see you again tomorrow!

    Sadie Seasongoods

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a clever idea! I could use one of these for my craft room desk! Thanks for sharing at the Submarine Sunday Link Party!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have made lots of these mug organizers but never thought to add the pockets for inside the mug. I made them with a pincushion for inside the mug. Sewers loved them! And have adapted the outside pocket to have an extra row of pockets. Some of the dollar stores carry an extra tall mug that might a hot chocolate mug but they are great for when you want to add the extra of outside pockets. Used the heavy gauge clear plastic for the outer pocket, great for the little things like seam rippers, bobbins that can be hard to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Dana! I would love to see a picture of your double pocket organizer and the pin cushion organizer, or at least the pattern.

      Delete
  8. Hi there
    Just stopped by to let you know that I featured this on my Round Tuit post this week!
    A Round Tuit 290
    Thanks again for linking up! Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are wonderful! Thank you for the tutorial! -Marci @ Stone Cottage Adventures

    ReplyDelete
  10. This s so original and so clever! Well done! Thank you for sharing. It is so handy and cute at the same time. #Trash2Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love you post its perfect. Any pattern can be adjusted as needed. You have a great blog I love it.
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these! They would make great teachers or for anyone that needs a little cheering up.I can see them filled with all kinds of things.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Worked out great. Except I am not much of a measurer, I just made random size pockets and height for the inner and outer pockets. Tried to fit my mug. I used scraps from an old quilting project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thrilled it worked out for you. Just the idea to not use binding is what I was trying to do. Apparently you understood the method of my madness.

      Delete
  14. I seem to be befuddledtoday. It would be helpful if you explained how the pieces go together. Which seams first etc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. The directions on the "Original Post" might help you, because they are a lot more detailed. This post was just an update. Please find the "Original Post" link at the end of this page's post. Good luck. Otherwise, please email so I can send you the link.

      Delete
  15. I'm looking forward to making these for the grandkids teachers. I found some really cute school fabric. Thanks for the post and excellent directions. I am going to try them without pockets on the inside. Will see how they work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear this will work for you. Your idea of not putting pockets on the inside is a good one, because frankly I find I end up just quickly stuffing my items in the center. I have 2 that are jammed packed with things in the center.

      Delete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.