Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Mass Producing Gift Bags



 I volunteered to make 50 bags for our Bible School this year.  So I needed to come up with an "assembly line" way to make them.  Here is the result.
Lots of shots here as I tried to use more visual than words, just jots.













20 X 12 in pieces









Width number moves my needle to the left.


To reinforce handles, do a couple of back stitches in center of handle.



You get 6 bags from one yard of 56 inch wide fabric with six 2.5 inch strips left over.
 Looking closer at details:
Notice the back stitch in the center of the handles.


Amazing how some bags turned out to be symmetrical and I didn't even try.

These little bags will hold treasures from VBS.
Children will be provided markers, etc. to personalize their bags.

Fabric which was curtain/upholstery fabric was acquired at Restore for very little money.
I intended to back quilts for orphans with this fabric, but thought this was a good way to use the fabric.

Now if I was smart, I'd use this process while it's fresh in my mind to make some Christmas and birthday gift bags.

Sharing at several Linky Parties.
Thanks to the FREE programs:
possibly used for this post
GIMP for cropping & other digital effects
 Photoscape for downsizing & watermarking photo
PicMonkey creating collages used on this page

Fine Craft Guild and


10 comments:

  1. These are so cute! What a great assembly line idea you've given us. They look terrific, you've made them look 'smart' and functional yet easy-to-make but more importantly - the kids will use and enjoy them - a great reminder of VBS. Need to check with my church to see if they need any bags for VBS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lot of work. Well done. they are all lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 50 bags!!! No wonder you worked out a way to speed up the process, Joy. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! This is great!! I'll definitely be utilizing this!! Thanks for the tips!
    I'm a new follower!!
    Nissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an undertaking! I really like how you just did all the straps in a row - that's a great idea and something I'd never thought of!

    Natashalh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial on making quick bags! I love the fabric as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wanted to invite you to my link party where we pin all those who join to our party board
    http://myfashionforwardblog.com/2013/05/23/all-things-pretty-9/

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such an awesome Tutorial :)
    It is a definite favourite of mine and will be featured tomorrow on Tutorial Thursdays Linky Party!
    Thanks so much for linking up week for week, I look forward to seeing what you share with us this week.
    x
    Natalie
    Marigolds' Loft
    P.S: Would you be interested in writing a Guest Post for a Tutorial Thursday party, I would love to have you over, your tutorials are super!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is pretty. I like the fabric, and your tutorial is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.