Thursday, March 22, 2012

Low Carb Strawberry Dessert

For those of you that know about pretzel salad, you might think this is it without the pretzels.  That is where I got my inspiration.  I left out the pretzels to lower the carb count to help sugar levels.  As you will see, this is one of those "throw it together according to taste" recipes.  I prepare this for holidays and potlucks and rarely have much leftover.  You can either have it with the main meal or as a dessert.  Hope you decide to enJOY some!


  
 Mix:
     1 large carton of Greek yogurt- experience has proven that Greek yogurt adds just the right zing.
     2 small cartons of non-fat cream cheese (set out to become room temp for easier mixing.)
     1 or 2 cups of Splenda (according to your taste)

Either mix by hand or in food processor, pour in bottom of sheet pan. (I also use a large plastic sheet pan with lid for travel.)



Mix 
  4 small boxes or 2 large boxes of sugar free strawberry jello with 2 cups of hot water until dissolved. This amount of water keeps firm.
  Add 1 or 2 cartons -depends on how much you want (according to your taste) of no sugar added frozen (slightly thawed) strawberries or chopped fresh strawberries. 11-26-13 update: I no longer can find no sugar added (splenda) frozen strawberries.  I now buy a bag of whole frozen strawberries. I thaw and slice. Works just as well.
 



  Pour the strawberry mixture on top of the cream cheese filling.






     Cover with plastic wrap or plastic lid if using plastic container.
     Refrigerate until firm.
       Hmmm, can't you just smell those strawberries in that cream cheese filling right now?
update: Please read comment below for some ideas for a crust.

You might find this post at several Linky Parties. Please check them out for some great ideas.

25 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks so delicious!!! will try it once my freshly planted strawberries start bearing fruit.
    love
    jutta

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks good and low carb too that is a good combination. I would love it if you came over today to my Sunday Round UP Party @ http://www.arosiesweethome.com/ you can share this and anything you would like.
    hope to see you there
    Rose
    PS. I'm now following you great blog I hope you like mine and would like to follow me too

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so good and low carb all in one! Cant be better than that. Love strawberries and love the idea of Greek yogurt. I'll be trying out soon! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration at Sunday's Best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH that does look delicious!!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum....looks delish! Thanks for sharing at Manic Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good idea! I love it with pretzels, but this is a creative alternative. Thanks for sharing at Handmade Tuesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks really yummy! I love pretzel salad so this sounds like it would be just as good! Thanks for linking to Scout's Sweet Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great low carb lower cal alternative. Thanks for sharing on this week's BeColorful.
    pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny, I was just thinking of something very simliar to this, except with orange jello for that Orange Creamsicle flavor. Thank you for the post - I'm off to make this now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds good! I don't like pretzels, so this recipe sounds just right for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am SOOOOO making this!! My kids love anything strawberry!!
    THANKS for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm...this looks great! Thanks for linking up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We love having you and hope you'll be back next week! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks yummy! We love strawberries at our house so I might have to try this one. Thanks for linking up at Whimsy Wednesday. Have a great weekend.
    Amy@homehappyhome

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds really tasty. I am doing a low carb diet. This may seems like a silly questions but you say two cream cheese but show three in the photo. Is it 2 or 3?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, Sorry Debby the picture is misleading. Follow the written directions and not the picture. I also notice a picture has 3 small boxes of jello and that's not correct either. I was making two batches that day. btw, When I'm making this for just a friend and me, I do half the ingredients and use a 9X9 dish.

      Delete
  15. Thanks everyone for you very nice comments. I know you are going to enJOY this recipe. I'm always looking for low carb stuff to keep my sugar level low. Please let me know about your low carb recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for a marvelous posting! I actually enjoyed reading it,
    you could be a great author.I will ensure that I bookmark your blog and will
    come back later on. I want to encourage you to continue your great work, have a nice evening!
    My weblog ; how it works

    ReplyDelete
  17. As a bottom "crust" use chopped walnuts or pecans drizzled with salted butter and Stevia (or other no carb sweetener). You will never miss the pretzels!

    ReplyDelete

Have a JOYful day!
Leave a comment or an email if you like.
I will enJOY either.
Please LEAVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS if you need a reply.